Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tonight I'll Write My Saddest Song


Tonight I’ll write my saddest song.
The refrain is dipped in tears and them moist sighs
That reach the threshold of your heart, cold as a steel blade,
And die knocking, thumping and stamping.

The song will begin with a sweet melody
That we hummed together and made ours
In the dead of the night, when the crickets ruled the world.
The Princess of Dawn dared not disturb us, and the Moon dropped in our eyes.

It rings in my ears still, and brings back the notes forgotten.

This melody was once like a hymn, or a Shaman’s chant
That drove away fears, ghosts and protected me from myself.
I dread it the most now.
And yet, I’ll remember it when I write my saddest song.

You stand in dark, and my words call out.
You turn in your bed, and my dreams fall out.
You take a breath, and my being I doubt.
But I’ll survive and tell the tale.

For tonight I’m writing my saddest song.

Tonight is when I hold the pen
After so many nights, and thousand light years
And words flow as if from a bleeding nose
In a pattern that only a cruel god of tragedies knows.

It helps me, strangely.
And I know you begrudge that too.
But how does that, after all, matter?
When all the dreams were meant to shatter.
  
The melody haunts still, and so do the memories.
And tonight I’m writing my saddest song.
Tonight I wrote my saddest song.

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

got goosebumps. reminded me of some hidden memories of loneliness and despair!