Monday, November 25, 2013

Growing Up



He said, "I see you growing up." 
And suddenly I realised,
The drops of Youth were beginning to
Dry on the rim of the Life's cup.

There is silver in the clouds dark
That were once tresses
And lines of life and heart are on the cheeks, not palm, alongside my birthmark.

My large heart and narrow waist
Have exchanged place
And strongest in my mouth amidst all others
Is this new acrid taste:

The taste of complacency, of growing older and growing sober, of falling in line and losing that shine, of apologies and failed ideologies, of safe play and dried clay, of polite smiles and unwoven wiles.

Yes, I'm growing up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice..!

Unknown said...

"of growing older and growing sober, of falling in line and losing that shine..."

nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully crafted. Love the way you've captured the
most prominent details and included some humour with:

"My large heart and narrow waist
Have exchanged place"

:)